If you or a member of your family are in immediate danger, you should call the police on 999.
Domestic abuse is a widespread problem in society, but often a hidden one. This is not an issue that just affects women and it is not specific to any one gender, age or class. Unfortunately therefore it does happen in some clergy households.
As a diocese, we remain fully committed to supporting victims of abuse and the Safeguarding department has its own area of the website with important information and contact information. Visit http://safeguarding.chichester.anglican.org/
There are a number of helpful websites:
- Women’s Aid (for women and children)
- Refuge (for women and children)
- Life Centre (based in Chichester, with bases across much of the diocese)
- The Saturn Centre (for men and women)
- Worth Services (West Sussex’s domestic and sexual violence service)
- Rise (based in Brighton)
- Victim Support : 0808 168 9111
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (Freephone 24 Hour)
- RASAC (Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre). National Helpline: 0808 802 9999 (12-2.30 & 7-9.30)
- Rape Crisis: Helpline: 0808 802 9999 (12-2.30 & 7-9.30)
- National Domestic Violence Helpline (24hrs): 08457 023 047
- MPower: Helpline: 0808 808 4321 (for men)
- Childline. Helpline: 0800 1111
- NSPCC. Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (free from landlines and most mobiles)
A list of advisers and people who may be able to help
Click or tap an email link below to send an email. All diocesan email addresses follow the convention firstname.lastname @chichester.anglican.org (no spaces)
Colin Perkins - Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser. If you have general safeguarding concerns or queries email or call 01273 425 792 / 07500 771210
Helen Irving - Independent Sexual Violence Adviser provides emotional and practical support to those who have experienced abuse and can be contacted by email or call 01273 421 021 extn 151 or 07825 235872
Contact CMD Administrator Ruth McBrien Email her in the first instance to discuss training needs or financial support for counselling.
Rebecca Swyer is the Director for Apostolic Life and oversees Curates' training and can be contacted by email.
Retired or Soon-to-Retire Clergy
Jonathan Prichard coordinates support to retired clergy in the diocese. Email
Ann Waizeneker is the Dean of Women’s Ministry and can be contacted by email or by phone on 01273 965 303