Diocese of Chichester

Applying for a faculty is a two step process. The first step is to apply to the DAC for Formal Advice. You will then need to submit the faculty petition to the Diocesan Registry for the Chancellor’s consideration.

Submitting an Application to the DAC for Formal Advice

The DAC application pack can be downloaded here. The pack contains the statutory forms, details of the supporting paperwork that should be included, and general guidance on making an application.

Applications should be submitted several weeks before a DAC meeting, so that there is time for them to be reviewed and added to the agenda; please see the meeting dates and corresponding deadlines for applications here.

If you are submitting a DAC application for the first time or have any queries about the process, please get in touch with the Church Buildings team who will be happy to assist.

After the DAC meeting

Following the DAC meeting, the Church Buildings team will write back to parishes to let them know the outcome of their application.The pack that is returned to parishes includes a letter, a Notification of Advice containing the DAC’s formal advice, a full set of the paperwork, public notices for display, and detailed guidance on the next steps.

The Notification of Advice will communicate that the DAC’s formal advice to the Chancellor is that the Committee:

  • Recommends the proposals for approval
  • Recommends the proposals for approval, with provisos
  • Does Not Object to the proposals
  • Does Not Recommend the proposals for approval 

Alternatively, the DAC may defer the application and either request further information or ask the parish to give further consideration to an aspect of the proposals. The parish then submits the further information or a response to points raised in time for consideration at a future DAC meeting.

It generally takes about a week for the minutes of the meeting to be written up and approved by the DAC Chair. The Church Buildings team aims to respond formally to parishes within 10 days of the meeting (but are happy to discuss the outcome informally over the telephone from the day after the meeting).

Public Notices, Provisos, and Final Consultations

Along with the Notification of Advice, the Church Buildings team will send you two copies of the Public Notice form, which must be displayed inside and outside your church for 28 days. You will also need to make a set of plans available for the public to view on request. 

If the Notification of Advice contained provisos, you should let the Church Buildings team know how you intend to address these. It is helpful if you include any correspondence in respect of provisos when you submit the faculty petition to the Registry. 

On the back of the Notification of Advice, there may be ticked boxes indicating that the DAC has recommended that you consult with some external organisations. Ideally, the necessary consultations will have taken place before the application for Formal Advice is submitted but if any of these external organisations have not yet been consulted, or have been consulted in respect of a previous version of the plans, they should be contacted at this point. 

Submitting the Faculty Petition to the Diocesan Registry

After the public notices have been displayed for 28 days and any final consultations have been carried out, you will need to sign the Certificate of Completion on the back of the public notices and send them to the Diocesan Registry, along with the full pack of supporting paperwork and a cheque for the faculty petition fee.

The Chancellor will consider the application and decide whether to grant a faculty or not. If the proposals have attracted opposition, the Chancellor may decide to hold a consistory court hearing before making a decision. Please note that the DAC advice is purely advisory and that the decision on whether a faculty should be granted is always made by the Chancellor.

Further information about the faculty jurisdiction and how decisions in respect of faculty petitions are made by Diocesan Chancellors is available here on the Church of England website.

Once the faculty petition has been submitted to the Diocesan Registry, any queries should be directed to the Diocesan Registry rather than the Church Buildings team. For example, you may need to contact the Registry if you have a query about the status of a faculty application or in order to request an amendment or extension to an existing faculty.