This is a summary of the information that parishes need to know regarding revising the Electoral Roll. The full guide can be found in part 1 of the Church Representation Rules 2020.
- The roll of a parish must be revised annually. Notice of the proposed revision must be given on this form and displayed on or near the principal door of each of the churches in the parish, or in the case of each building in the parish licensed for public worship and in a location readily visible to members of the congregation in each building in the parish licensed for public worship.
- The notice must remain on display for at least 14 days before the proposed revision begins.
- Every addition to the roll since the previous revision (or, if there has not yet been a revision of the roll, since the formation of the roll) must be reviewed and any further additions must be made as necessary. An application form for new enrolments can be found here.
- A person’s name must be removed from the roll in each of the following cases:
- Where the person has died.
- Where the person has become a clerk in Holy Orders.
- Where the person has stated in writing the wish to have his or her name removed.
- Where the person was not entitled to have his or her name entered on the roll at the time it was entered.
- Where the person has ceased to reside in the parish, has not continued to habitually attend public worship in the parish during any period of six months, and has not been prevented from doing so by illness or other sufficient cause.
- Where the person is not resident in the parish, has not habitually attended public worship in the parish during the preceding six months, and has not been prevented from doing so by illness or other sufficient cause.
- The name of a person must not be removed from the roll unless the PCC has taken reasonable steps to establish the relevant facts.
- The revision of the roll of a parish must be completed at least 15 days, but no more than 28 days, before the annual parochial church meeting.
- After the completion of a revision of the roll of a parish the PCC must publish the roll in such form (whether electronic or otherwise) as it decides and make a copy of the roll available for inspection, on a reasonable request being made.
- The revised roll must be published for a period of at least 14 days. It must include every name entered on the roll but no other personal data should be added, such as addresses, telephone numbers, or email addresses. A name may not be added to or removed from the roll between the completion of the revision of the roll and the conclusion of the annual parochial church meeting, except in so far as is necessary to correct omissions or errors.
- The chair, vice-chair, secretary or electoral roll officer of a PCC must, no later than 1st December (extended from 1st July due to the Coronavirus pandemic), give the secretary of the diocesan synod written notification of the number of names on the roll of the parish as at the date of the annual parochial church meeting. This can be sent to Church House by completing this online form or can be sent to Church House by post. The electoral roll certificate can be found here.
Any questions which cannot be answered by the information above can be directed to the Database and Statistics Administrator at Church House.