The Diocese of Chichester almost exactly covers the counties of East and West Sussex and the City of Brighton and Hove, stretching for nearly a hundred miles (160km) along the south coast of England.
It was founded in 681 by St Wilfrid who converted the Kingdom of the South Saxons and established the first cathedral (a building which no longer exists) at Selsey.
In 1075 a new Cathedral was begun a few miles away at Chichester. Chichester Cathedral has its own website which can be reached by clicking here.
Bishop Martin is the 77th Bishop of Chichester and 103rd Bishop of the diocese. The coat of arms used by bishops of the diocese first appeared in the thirteenth century.