All three bishops in the diocese will be marking Mothers' Union 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence by wearing a purple scarf on Global Day from 25th November until 10th December with special services being led at five churches in the diocese on Saturday 27th November.
Global Day is centred around the disturbing figure that “1 in 3 women worldwide have experienced domestic or sexual abuse” and that Mothers’ Union as a leading women’s organisation believe this to be unacceptable.
Five churches around the Diocese will hold acts of worship and a three-minute silence at 1:03pm, uniting with Mothers’ Union members across Britain and Ireland.
These services will be held at:
- All Saints Church,21a Grange Road, Eastbourne BN21 4HE
- St Peter's East Blatchington, Belgrave Road, Seaford BN25 2HE (The Bishop of Lewes will attend this service)
- St. Alban's Church, Gossops Drive, Crawley, RH11 8LD (Please arrive at 12noon with a packed lunch to learn more about 16 Days of Activism. Tea & coffee served afterwards)
- St George’s Church, St George's Road, Worthing BN11 2DS
- St Johns Chapel, St Johns Street, Chichester PO19 1UR. Time 12.45 to 1.45.For further information contact Sheila Hoy 01243 786374
If you’re not able to join in with one of these services,you can join Mothers’ Union in prayer from 25 November until 10 December by downloading a Prayer Diary here: https://www.mothersunion.org/global-day-2021
Please do share these events in your networks.
During the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence it’s also hoped that people across the Diocese will also support White Ribbon UK’s campaign by wearing a white ribbon.White Ribbon UK is a leading charity engaging with men and boys to end violence against women and you’ll find more details about how you can support them during 16 Days here: https://www.whiteribbon.org.uk/day