THE CHRISM EUCHARIST 2019 with the Reaffirmation of Ordination Commitment and the Blessing of the Oils
Tuesday 16 April 2019 at 12 noon in Chichester Cathedral
Bishop Martin writes: "The world today continues to experience the pain of division and disagreement, violence and despair. But our calling as Christians is to be witnesses to the love of God by which a broken world is restored and humanity recovers dignity and freedom.
"The Chrism Eucharist in the Cathedral is a joyful opportunity to renew our response to this calling as ordained ministers of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
"I very much hope you can be in the Cathedral on Tuesday in Holy Week. I also very much encourage you to extend this invitation to those who assist you in any way in preparing and celebrating the worship of God, in order that together we can recognise their work and thank them for it.
“You are my friends,” says Jesus (John 15.14). Let us gather together to deepen our obedience to him, our most merciful redeemer, friend and brother, and make his friendship the gift we offer a world that is often bleak and friendless."
+ Martin Cicester
Practical Arrangements for Clergy and Readers
• Please note the start time of 12 noon.
• Bishop’s Chapel: Suffragan and Assistant Bishops, Archdeacons, Dean and Chapter, College of Canons, Deacons (ministering at the Eucharist)
• Palace Old Kitchen (entrance through glazed green door south-west of the Cathedral west doors): Diocesan Bishop, Diocesan clergy and Readers
• Suffragan Bishops and Assistant Bishops: alb, white mitre and white cope
• Clergy: alb or cassock and surplice with white stole or scarf
• Readers: alb or cassock and surplice with blue scarf
• Oils can be collected after the service from the Eastern Arm in the Cathedral. Please ensure that only suitable receptacles are presented for the holy oils.
• Oils are also available throughout the year from The Palace, should you require further supplies.
• A parish or chaplaincy representative may collect oils on behalf of the priest.